Per a report from The Blast, a 4:07 p.m. PST phone call on Saturday, October 28 is what initially alerted police officials to the scene — Perry’s residence at Pacific Palisades, where they found the “17 Again” actor unresponsive. At the time, authorities assumed they were responding to a “water rescue.” When they arrived to Perry’s home, they found prescription medication – appropriately labeled — for use to treat depression, anxiety, and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD). COPD is an inflammatory lung disease that causes airflow blockage. It is commonly linked to heavy cigarette smoking, a habit Perry had quit weeks prior to his death, according “Friends,” co-creator Marta Kauffman.
The “Fools Rush In” star has been candid about his struggles with drug and alcohol addiction in his memoir, “Friends, Lovers, and the Big Terrible Thing.” As noted by The Mirror U.K., Perry is reported as having said that “Friends” is not what he wanted to be remembered for when he died. “I want helping others to be the first thing that’s mentioned,” shared the actor. Speaking with TODAY, Kauffman noted that she spoke with Perry just two weeks before his death. Speaking about the star’s demeanor, she said, “… He was happy, and chipper. He didn’t seem weighed down by anything. He was in a really good place, which is why this seems so unfair.”
For fans mourning the comedy icon, it might be still be a while before an official cause of death is publicly revealed. Further toxicology reports can take several weeks to process, and even longer than a month to be finalized, per Mirror U.K.
If you or anyone you know needs help with addiction issues, help is available. Visit the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration website or contact SAMHSA’s National Helpline at 1-800-662-HELP (4357).